You can listen to the episode using the player below or you can visit the HPR web page for the episode.[audio http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1336.ogg |titles=The Rosetta Dream |artists=Julian Neuer on HPR |initialvolume=90]
Here are the show notes:
Julian Neuer (https://corianderpause.wordpress.com/) tells his short SciFi story “The Rosetta Dream”, inspired by the writings of Steven Pinker and Jared Diamond.
In the 21st century, the Rosetta Project produced a disk containing 13,000 pages of information about more than 1,500 languages spoken on Earth today and in the recent past.
But what happens if the disk is found by our descendants in a very distant future where information is not transmitted by verbal languages anymore?
- Julian Neuer’s WordPress page: https://corianderpause.wordpress.com/
- Text of the story: https://corianderpause.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/the-rosetta-dream/
- The Rosetta Project: http://rosettaproject.org/
- Steven Pinker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Language_Instinct
- Jared Diamond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Chimpanzee:_The_Evolution_and_Future_of_the_Human_Animal
- Music: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/endingsatellites/And_so_sing_the_black_birds/01_Ending_Satellites_-_And_so_sing_the_black_birds
- Savannah sounds: http://www.freesound.org/people/felix.blume/sounds/141505/
- Thunder: http://www.freesound.org/people/Dave%20Welsh/sounds/194364/
- Drums: http://www.freesound.org/people/jobro/sounds/103337/
- Morse code: http://www.freesound.org/people/Setuniman/sounds/133281/